Accident Not Your Teen’s Fault? Your Insurance Cannot Go Up!
If your teen is involved in an accident that is not their fault, in Louisiana, there is a Revised Statute La. R.S. 22:1284 in place to protect you. It says that your insurance company can not increase your rate. It can not cancel you. It can not refuse to renew your policy due to the accident.
The key is no fault on the part of your teenage driver. It is essential to get a police report on the day of the accident that gives only the other person a violation. It is a vital document to ensure that the cost of your insurance doesn’t get raised later.
The statute is vital as there are often issues with the other driver’s insurance company. They might act slowly, refuse to provide a rental car while repairs are made to your vehicle, or cause other problems. If that is the case, you can file the claim under your insurance.
It will enable you to get back on the road quickly, as your insurance company has a higher duty to take care of you. The insurance companies will then fight about who owes what and settle the finances.
In many cases, as a personal accident attorney, I see people afraid to file claims with their insurance companies out of fear that their insurance costs will go up. The statute protects you from that.
It can be a little complicated, so if you have any questions, please feel free to send me a D.M., and I will be happy to discuss the details further with you.
If you have any insight about “Accident not your teen’s fault? Your insurance cannot go up!” please comment below.
- New Orleans, LA – EMTs Assist Victims of Injury Accident on I-10 at LA-22
- New Orleans, LA – Crescent City Connection Bridge Site of Injury Crash
- New Orleans, LA – One Killed When Amtrack Train Hits Car Near Carrollton Ave
- Calcasieu Parish, LA – Imy Lamar Dickson Identified as Victim of Fatal Tractor-Trailer Crash on I-10
- Gonzales, LA – Jasy Hunt Dies in Wreck on Coon Trap Rd
- New Orleans, LA – Police, Paramedics Respond to Injury Crash Near Franklin Ave
- New Orleans, LA – Area Near Canal Street Closed Due to Injury Collision
- Toledo Bend, LA – Murphy, Sam, and Young Identified as Victims of Fatal Boating Accident in Toledo Bend
- New Orleans, LA – Car Accident on Highrise Bridge Causes Victim Injuries
- New Iberia, LA – Three Firefighters Injured in Explosion on Hopkins St