Accident Not Your Teen’s Fault? Your Insurance Cannot Go Up!
If your teen is involved in an accident that is not their fault, in Louisiana, there is a Revised Statute La. R.S. 22:1284 in place to protect you. It says that your insurance company can not increase your rate. It can not cancel you. It can not refuse to renew your policy due to the accident.
The key is no fault on the part of your teenage driver. It is essential to get a police report on the day of the accident that gives only the other person a violation. It is a vital document to ensure that the cost of your insurance doesn’t get raised later.
The statute is vital as there are often issues with the other driver’s insurance company. They might act slowly, refuse to provide a rental car while repairs are made to your vehicle, or cause other problems. If that is the case, you can file the claim under your insurance.
It will enable you to get back on the road quickly, as your insurance company has a higher duty to take care of you. The insurance companies will then fight about who owes what and settle the finances.
In many cases, as a personal accident attorney, I see people afraid to file claims with their insurance companies out of fear that their insurance costs will go up. The statute protects you from that.
It can be a little complicated, so if you have any questions, please feel free to send me a D.M., and I will be happy to discuss the details further with you.
If you have any insight about “Accident not your teen’s fault? Your insurance cannot go up!” please comment below.
- Baton Rouge, LA – Car Crash on Plank Rd near Glen Oaks Dr Ends in Injuries
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries at Stanford Ave & Hyacinth Ave
- New Orleans, LA – Accident on I-10 near Highrise Bridge Ends in Injuries
- Lafayette, LA – Accident with Injuries at Brentwood Blvd and Arlette Dr
- Duson, LA – Accident at Riceland Rd & Cameron St Ends in Injuries
- Monroe, LA – Four Injured in Fatal Car Crash on US-165 at Centurylink Blvd near Lumen Technologies
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident at Government St & S Foster Dr Results in Injuries
- Baton Rouge, LA – Injury Accident Reported on Silverleaf Ave near Mickens Rd
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported at Beechwood Dr & Prescott Rd
- Grand Isle, LA – UPDATE- Ernes Williams & Captain David Ledet Fatally Injured in Boat Crash near Port Fourchon