Can Teens Drive Their Siblings in Louisiana?
Seth Smiley here of the Smiley Law Firm. Today in the Parents of Teen Drivers Facebook Group, we are discussing whether teens can drive their siblings in Louisiana.
For many busy parents, the idea of their kid being able to drive their brothers and sisters to school every day and other places is excellent. We should look at the legalities and see what is allowed.
The quick answer is that it depends on what type of license they have as to whether they can drive their siblings around town. Most licenses in Louisiana do not allow it unless there is an adult in the car.
If your teen driver has a learner’s permit, there has to be an adult in the car at all times. It would defeat the purpose of having the teenager driving the siblings around.
The intermediate license also has some restrictions. They need someone who is of age with them in the car, and there are also restrictions on the times that they can drive.
Until the teen can get their full Class E license, usually around the age of 17, that teenager will not be able to drive the siblings around town.
That could be inconvenient, but it is practical from a safety point of view. There will be fewer distractions from mobile phones, loud radios, questions, etc. until your teenager is a properly qualified driver. The aim is to keep your teen driver safe, so waiting until they have the full Class E license is a good thing.
Please feel free to send me a direct message or leave a comment below if you have any thoughts about whether teens should be allowed to drive their siblings.
- Best New Cars For Teens
- What You Need To Teach Your Teen About The Trunk
- Teach Your Teen The Best Drivers Seat Position
- Keep Your Teen Safe With Proper Headlight Care
- How To Properly Wear A Seat Belt
- Teach Your Teen How To Handle Emergency Vehicles
- Accident Not Your Teen’s Fault? Your Insurance Cannot Go Up!
- Teen Drivers vs. Senior Drivers – Who Wins?
- Tips For Buying Car Insurance For Your Teen Driver
- Vehicular Homicide – The Accident That Can Put Your Teen In Jail