Can Teens Drive Their Siblings in Louisiana?
Seth Smiley here of the Smiley Law Firm. Today in the Parents of Teen Drivers Facebook Group, we are discussing whether teens can drive their siblings in Louisiana.
For many busy parents, the idea of their kid being able to drive their brothers and sisters to school every day and other places is excellent. We should look at the legalities and see what is allowed.
The quick answer is that it depends on what type of license they have as to whether they can drive their siblings around town. Most licenses in Louisiana do not allow it unless there is an adult in the car.
If your teen driver has a learner’s permit, there has to be an adult in the car at all times. It would defeat the purpose of having the teenager driving the siblings around.
The intermediate license also has some restrictions. They need someone who is of age with them in the car, and there are also restrictions on the times that they can drive.
Until the teen can get their full Class E license, usually around the age of 17, that teenager will not be able to drive the siblings around town.
That could be inconvenient, but it is practical from a safety point of view. There will be fewer distractions from mobile phones, loud radios, questions, etc. until your teenager is a properly qualified driver. The aim is to keep your teen driver safe, so waiting until they have the full Class E license is a good thing.
Please feel free to send me a direct message or leave a comment below if you have any thoughts about whether teens should be allowed to drive their siblings.
- New Orleans, LA – Victims Transported from Crash Scene on I-10 at Veterans Blvd
- Baton Rouge, LA – One Lane Closed Due to Car Accident With Injuries on I-10 at Lobdell Hwy
- Lafayette, LA – Injury-Causing Accident on I-10 at Church Point
- Baton Rouge, LA – Vehicle Collision Leads to Victim Injuries on Government St
- New Orleans, LA – LSP Aids Injured Victims After Car Accident on I-10 at Canal St
- DeSoto Parish, LA – Man Seriously Injured in Hit-and-Run on I-49, Suspect Arrested
- New Orleans, LA – Police, EMTs Respond to Car Accident on I-10 at Carrolton Ave
- Rayne, LA – Two DOT Subcontractors Struck by SUV on Hwy 90 Near Gina St
- New Orleans, LA – Victims Transported From Scene of Car Accident on I-10 at Morrison Rd
- Baton Rouge, LA – Police Respond to Accident Involving School Bus on Old Hammond Hwy