Can Teens Drive Their Siblings in Louisiana?
Seth Smiley here of the Smiley Law Firm. Today in the Parents of Teen Drivers Facebook Group, we are discussing whether teens can drive their siblings in Louisiana.
For many busy parents, the idea of their kid being able to drive their brothers and sisters to school every day and other places is excellent. We should look at the legalities and see what is allowed.
The quick answer is that it depends on what type of license they have as to whether they can drive their siblings around town. Most licenses in Louisiana do not allow it unless there is an adult in the car.
If your teen driver has a learner’s permit, there has to be an adult in the car at all times. It would defeat the purpose of having the teenager driving the siblings around.
The intermediate license also has some restrictions. They need someone who is of age with them in the car, and there are also restrictions on the times that they can drive.
Until the teen can get their full Class E license, usually around the age of 17, that teenager will not be able to drive the siblings around town.
That could be inconvenient, but it is practical from a safety point of view. There will be fewer distractions from mobile phones, loud radios, questions, etc. until your teenager is a properly qualified driver. The aim is to keep your teen driver safe, so waiting until they have the full Class E license is a good thing.
Please feel free to send me a direct message or leave a comment below if you have any thoughts about whether teens should be allowed to drive their siblings.
- Pro Tip To Help With Peace Of Mind While Your Teen Is On The Road
- Texting Laws Are Saving Teen Lives
- American Academy of Pediatrics GDL Recommendations
- UPDATE Teen Drivers Need To Take Physical Test to Get License in Georgia
- How to Handle Your Teen’s Personal Injury Claim – Shortest Version Possible
- What Should Your Teen Do If They Get Pulled Over By The Police?
- How To Handle Property Damage Claims For Your Teen
- Teach Your Teen To Do This If They Are In A Wreck
- Can Teens Drive Their Siblings in Louisiana?
- Is It Safe For Teens To Get Licensed Without Proper Testing?