Hurricane! Teach Your Teen How To Be Safe
Seth Smiley here from the Smiley Law Firm. Today in the Parents of Teen Drivers Facebook Group, we are discussing the dangers of hurricanes and how to teach your teen to be safe.
It is summertime here in South Louisiana, and storms are a significant concern for everyone. As parents, we are thinking about evacuating the house, finding a safe place, or riding it out. We always need to teach our kids what to do, as well.
It is smart to teach them that we might need to evacuate in short notice and to be ready. Your teens need to have their car gassed up as they don’t want to be stuck in a long queue when it is time to hit the road for a long drive.
It would be best if you told them the basics about driving on our roads before, during, or after a hurricane. Not to drive through any standing water, especially if they can’t see where the water stops and the side of the road begins. It could get deep real quick, and the car could flood out. It often happens in New Orleans.
If a hurricane is on the way, or the weather is getting worse, a flooded-out car would be awful for your teen.
It would help if you made them aware of flash flooding. It occasionally happens in towns, but it is a real issue in rural areas. So, it is best to stay off the roads when bad weather is on the way.
Your teens need to be ready to hang out with the family, even if they have left home, as all of the south along the coast is vulnerable to hurricanes. Please give them a heads up so that they prepare for anything.
If you have any questions or comments, please post them below so that we can answer anything about hurricanes. So, everyone out there – please stay safe!
- Tips To Help Your Teen Avoid Road Rage
- Teach Your Teens How to Drive Around Bicycles
- Teen Safety Features – Do You Think They Help Or Hinder Teen Drivers?
- Would You Let Your Teen Drive The Causeway Bridge (26 miles) Every Day for School?
- Best New Cars For Teens
- What You Need To Teach Your Teen About The Trunk
- Teach Your Teen The Best Drivers Seat Position
- Keep Your Teen Safe With Proper Headlight Care
- How To Properly Wear A Seat Belt
- Teach Your Teen How To Handle Emergency Vehicles