Is It Safe For Teens To Get Licensed Without Proper Testing?
Online driver’s ed, or allowing permits or other types of driver’s licenses to be issued without taking a proper, physical driver’s test might not be a good idea!
This is Seth Smiley of the Smiley Law Firm with today’s topic for the Parents of Teen Drivers Facebook Group. We will be discussing the wisdom of allowing young teens to take online courses to pass their driving license test.
The COVID-19 pandemic means that regulations are changing and in some cases, driving licenses are issued without having to take the physical test so that close interaction between people can be avoided.
We need to be very careful about all of this. The CDC states that parents are the key here. If your kids are getting licensed to drive without taking the full test, you, as parents, need to control the situation.
You can outline and define the rules for when your teen is behind the wheel and, make a parent-teen agreement with regards to driving. Make it clear that because the rules for licensing have been relaxed, it doesn’t mean the dangers of teen driving have lessened.
It is a great idea to get out on the road with your teen drivers. You can check that they understand all of the rules, and develop their skillset behind the wheel.
Make it clear to them that driving is a privilege, and safety is everything as driving is the number one killer of teens in America.
Licensing regulations have been made easier in Georgia, and teens are allowed to be licensed without the physical road tests. Texas appears to be allowing online tests also. It is vital that we ensure our teens reach the same standards of driving, even if they don’t undergo physical driving tests.
If you have some comments or questions about things that you have seen in your state, please leave a comment below. If there is a law you would like me to check, feel free to Direct Message me and I will get back to you.
- New Orleans, LA – EMTs Assist Victims of Injury Accident on I-10 at LA-22
- New Orleans, LA – Crescent City Connection Bridge Site of Injury Crash
- New Orleans, LA – One Killed When Amtrack Train Hits Car Near Carrollton Ave
- Calcasieu Parish, LA – Imy Lamar Dickson Identified as Victim of Fatal Tractor-Trailer Crash on I-10
- Gonzales, LA – Jasy Hunt Dies in Wreck on Coon Trap Rd
- New Orleans, LA – Police, Paramedics Respond to Injury Crash Near Franklin Ave
- New Orleans, LA – Area Near Canal Street Closed Due to Injury Collision
- Toledo Bend, LA – Murphy, Sam, and Young Identified as Victims of Fatal Boating Accident in Toledo Bend
- New Orleans, LA – Car Accident on Highrise Bridge Causes Victim Injuries
- New Iberia, LA – Three Firefighters Injured in Explosion on Hopkins St