Landry Parish, LA – Ryan James Fontenot Killed in Bicycle Crash on US-190
Landry Parish, LA (March 30, 2021) – A motor vehicle accident reported in the Landry Parish area early Sunday morning claimed one man’s life. At around 12:30 a.m., on March 28, emergency crews were notified that an auto-bicycle collision on US Highway 190 needed assistance.
Reports show that Ryan James Fontenot was riding a bicycle on US Highway 190 when he was struck by a vehicle from behind. The impact of the collision caused Fontenot to be ejected from his bicycle onto the westbound lane.
Fontenot was subsequently struck by a 2015 Toyota Tundra, resulting in fatal injuries. Emergency crews responded to the scene and declared the man deceased due to his injuries. No other victims involved in the accident sustained injuries.
At this time, investigations to determine the cause of the crash are underway with the Louisiana State Police.
We would like to offer our deepest condolences to the family of Ryan James Fontenot at this time.
Fatal Bicycle Accidents in Louisiana
Every year, hundreds of thousands of people are injured in bicycle accidents across the United States. Alarmingly, more than one-third of bicycle fatalities involve drugs or alcohol. More than 68% of fatal bicycle accidents take place in urban areas. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Motorists turning at intersections too quickly
- Motorists changing lanes without checking
- Drivers opening their doors too quick on parked vehicles
- Motorists cutting off bicyclists
- Drivers failing to give the right of way to bicyclists
- Reckless and distracted driving behaviors
There is nothing we can do to prepare for the sudden and unexpected loss of a loved one. Regrettably, these accidents claim the lives of more than 720 people annually, leaving families to endure the overwhelming mental, emotional, and financial consequences. When bicyclists lose their lives in accidents due to the negligence of others, their families should reach of to a wrongful death attorney in Louisiana as soon as possible. Families may have an array of legal options available to help them move forward and recover.
Louisiana bicycle accident attorneys at Smiley Law Firm have extensive experience helping grieving families get the justice they deserve after enduring the unexpected loss of a loved one due to the negligence of others. Our team truly cares about each client we work with as we strive to guide them throughout the legal process, answer any questions they have, and help combat issues as they arise. Our skilled and knowledgeable legal team is prepared to fight insurance companies on behalf of families to ensure they are able to maximize their recoveries while holding wrongdoers accountable for their actions. Smiley Law Firm has emerged as a leader in injury law for citizens across Louisiana, helping injured victims and their families maximize their recoveries. Contact our personal injury attorneys in Louisiana as soon as possible by calling 504-688-3494 or 504-822-2222. Our attorneys are available to meet with you at your earliest convenience to discuss legal options available to help you recover.
Note: These posts are constructed with the use of secondary sources. These sources include but are not limited to local and state news stories, local and state police accident reports, social media platforms, and eyewitness accounts about injury accidents that take place in New Orleans and throughout Louisiana. We did not independently verify the fact surrounding this accident. If you locate any information that is inaccurate, please contact our firm and we will correct the post to reflect the most accurate information available. We will also remove this post upon request.
Disclaimer: These posts are created to raise awareness about the dangers of driving in Louisiana. We hope that by casting light on serious accidents like this one, other drivers will take heed, and avoid being seriously injured in a similar accident. This post is not a solicitation for business. The information contained in this post is not intended to be legal or medical advice. The photo used in this post was not taken at the accident scene.
- New Orleans, LA – Victims Transported from Crash Scene on I-10 at Veterans Blvd
- Baton Rouge, LA – One Lane Closed Due to Car Accident With Injuries on I-10 at Lobdell Hwy
- Lafayette, LA – Injury-Causing Accident on I-10 at Church Point
- Baton Rouge, LA – Vehicle Collision Leads to Victim Injuries on Government St
- New Orleans, LA – LSP Aids Injured Victims After Car Accident on I-10 at Canal St
- DeSoto Parish, LA – Man Seriously Injured in Hit-and-Run on I-49, Suspect Arrested
- New Orleans, LA – Police, EMTs Respond to Car Accident on I-10 at Carrolton Ave
- Rayne, LA – Two DOT Subcontractors Struck by SUV on Hwy 90 Near Gina St
- New Orleans, LA – Victims Transported From Scene of Car Accident on I-10 at Morrison Rd
- Baton Rouge, LA – Police Respond to Accident Involving School Bus on Old Hammond Hwy