Science Says One Reason Causes More Teen Accidents than Any Other
Today on Parents of Teen Drivers, we will talk about the fact that there is one reason above all others that is the leading cause of teen accidents, and that is their brain.
Many things go on inside of a car which we have discussed at length in this group. One of the most critical factors from all of the research I have carried out and recent studies that I have read is about how the brain works and how teenagers process distractions.
Distraction can come in many forms, it can come from texting and driving, taking a hands-free phone call, or it can come from other people in the vehicle talking to the teen driver.
The main point is that some teen drivers process this better than others. There is something called a “working memory”, and it deals with the way teenagers can deal with what is going on around them from day-to-day actions while driving, whether they need to be hitting the gas or brakes, turning, or processing other things going on around them. It also deals with the varying levels of distraction going on around them, whether it is from a phone, radio, or other people in the car.
There are studies which state that having one person in the car is safer than many whenever teens are behind the wheel. There are a ton of statistics, but the number one reason why teenagers get into more accidents is due to their brain.
Seth Smiley of the Smiley Law Firm here and if you have any questions or would like me to put up more information pertaining to this issue on the group let me know.
- Monroe, LA – Four Injured in Fatal Car Crash on US-165 at Centurylink Blvd near Lumen Technologies
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident at Government St & S Foster Dr Results in Injuries
- Baton Rouge, LA – Injury Accident Reported on Silverleaf Ave near Mickens Rd
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported at Beechwood Dr & Prescott Rd
- Grand Isle, LA – UPDATE- Ernes Williams & Captain David Ledet Fatally Injured in Boat Crash near Port Fourchon
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported at Jefferson Highway & Drusilla Ln
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident on Wooddale Blvd near Belhaven Trace Dr Ends in Injuries
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported at I-12 and Millerville Rd
- Livingston Parish, LA – Brandon Welch Killed in Pedestrian Crash on I-12 near Satsuma Entrance Ramp
- Carencro, LA – Felton Hopkins Injured in Pedestrian Crash on I-49 Frontage Rd