Teach Your Teen How To Handle Emergency Vehicles
Emergency vehicles include the police, fire trucks, ambulances, and anyone else who is authorized by law to have sirens on their car when driving on the highway.
There are specific rules and ways to handle emergency vehicles that the Louisiana Revised Statute 32:125 covers. It would be best if you taught your teenagers what to do in this situation so that they avoid accidents, and the emergency services are free to get on with their jobs.
Unless directed otherwise by a police officer, you are supposed to move to the right. If possible, in parallel with the vehicle, and out of the lane to the curb. It seems logical, but not everyone knows this, or they forget in an emergency.
Teach your teen to listen for the siren and look for an approaching emergency vehicle. They should do their best to get as far to the right as possible and let them pass before resuming their journey. They don’t want to be at fault or cause an accident.
The takeaway to remember for your teen here is to yield the right of way to emergency vehicles, police cars, fire trucks, even tow trucks, or unmarked vehicles with sirens. Remind them always to follow the protocol and proceed with caution.
It is not something that we face often, but it is best that your teen driver is informed and knows how to handle the situation if it arises.
If you have any questions or input about our topic, “Teach your teen how to handle emergency vehicles,” please comment below.
- New Orleans, LA – EMTs Assist Victims of Injury Accident on I-10 at LA-22
- New Orleans, LA – Crescent City Connection Bridge Site of Injury Crash
- New Orleans, LA – One Killed When Amtrack Train Hits Car Near Carrollton Ave
- Calcasieu Parish, LA – Imy Lamar Dickson Identified as Victim of Fatal Tractor-Trailer Crash on I-10
- Gonzales, LA – Jasy Hunt Dies in Wreck on Coon Trap Rd
- New Orleans, LA – Police, Paramedics Respond to Injury Crash Near Franklin Ave
- New Orleans, LA – Area Near Canal Street Closed Due to Injury Collision
- Toledo Bend, LA – Murphy, Sam, and Young Identified as Victims of Fatal Boating Accident in Toledo Bend
- New Orleans, LA – Car Accident on Highrise Bridge Causes Victim Injuries
- New Iberia, LA – Three Firefighters Injured in Explosion on Hopkins St