Teach Your Teen How To Handle Emergency Vehicles
Emergency vehicles include the police, fire trucks, ambulances, and anyone else who is authorized by law to have sirens on their car when driving on the highway.
There are specific rules and ways to handle emergency vehicles that the Louisiana Revised Statute 32:125 covers. It would be best if you taught your teenagers what to do in this situation so that they avoid accidents, and the emergency services are free to get on with their jobs.
Unless directed otherwise by a police officer, you are supposed to move to the right. If possible, in parallel with the vehicle, and out of the lane to the curb. It seems logical, but not everyone knows this, or they forget in an emergency.
Teach your teen to listen for the siren and look for an approaching emergency vehicle. They should do their best to get as far to the right as possible and let them pass before resuming their journey. They don’t want to be at fault or cause an accident.
The takeaway to remember for your teen here is to yield the right of way to emergency vehicles, police cars, fire trucks, even tow trucks, or unmarked vehicles with sirens. Remind them always to follow the protocol and proceed with caution.
It is not something that we face often, but it is best that your teen driver is informed and knows how to handle the situation if it arises.
If you have any questions or input about our topic, “Teach your teen how to handle emergency vehicles,” please comment below.
- Baton Rouge, LA – Injury Accident Reported on I-110 near Fuqua St
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident on Sherwood Forest Blvd near Sheraton Dr Ends in Injuries
- New Orleans, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported on I-10 near Read Blvd
- New Orleans, LA – Injuries Reported in Crash on I-610 near Canal Blvd
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident at Highway 73 & I-10/LA-621 Ends in Injuries
- Bossier City, LA – Accident at Airline Dr & I-220 Ends in Injuries
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported on Greenwell Springs Rd near Sherwood Homes Dr
- New Orleans, LA – Chef Menteur Highway and I- 510 Crash Claims One life
- Rapides Parish, LA – Isabelle Treadwell Killed in Two-Vehicle crash on LA-121 near LA-28
- Lafayette, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported on Johnston St near S College Rd