What Should Your Teen Do If They Get Pulled Over By The Police?
Seth Smiley here from the Smiley Law Firm. There is another topic for the Parents of Teen Drivers Facebook Group. Somebody asked me in the group last night about what we should teach our kids when getting Pulled over by the police.
Well, whatever they are stopped for, whether it is for a speeding ticket, seatbelt violation, or anything else, it is vital to comply with whatever the officer is asking you to do. That is important as you are in their zone.
Tell your teen driver that they are at the mercy of the police, so don’t mouth off, or create any negative tension – be polite and follow what you are told. Hand over their license, insurance, and registration and be cooperative.
It is fine to say, “Hey, I am a teenager. Do you mind if I call my parents about this incident?”
Usually, the police will be okay with that. Or even wish to speak to the parents, or escort the teenager home. The police like to know that there is parental involvement, and it can go a long way towards helping your child out of this situation.
If you have any questions or examples of good or bad situations with the police, please send me a direct message or post under the video.
- New Orleans, LA – Victims Transported from Crash Scene on I-10 at Veterans Blvd
- Baton Rouge, LA – One Lane Closed Due to Car Accident With Injuries on I-10 at Lobdell Hwy
- Lafayette, LA – Injury-Causing Accident on I-10 at Church Point
- Baton Rouge, LA – Vehicle Collision Leads to Victim Injuries on Government St
- New Orleans, LA – LSP Aids Injured Victims After Car Accident on I-10 at Canal St
- DeSoto Parish, LA – Man Seriously Injured in Hit-and-Run on I-49, Suspect Arrested
- New Orleans, LA – Police, EMTs Respond to Car Accident on I-10 at Carrolton Ave
- Rayne, LA – Two DOT Subcontractors Struck by SUV on Hwy 90 Near Gina St
- New Orleans, LA – Victims Transported From Scene of Car Accident on I-10 at Morrison Rd
- Baton Rouge, LA – Police Respond to Accident Involving School Bus on Old Hammond Hwy