Texting And Driving Laws In Louisiana
This is Seth Smiley of the Smiley Law Firm here with today’s Parents of Teen Drivers Group topic. I had a comment asking about the laws about texting and driving in Louisiana so let’s take a look at that.
Back in 2008 the legislature made texting and driving illegal all over the state of Louisiana (it is also widely unlawful in other areas). It was around this time that smartphones became popular, and it became evident changes had to be made.
Smartphones developed, and apps for social media became prevalent in everyday use, so in 2016 the laws were made more robust. You can go to Louisiana revised statute 32 300.5 through 8, and it states that there is a prohibition on texting and driving, which includes social media, emails, and instant messaging.
It allows for the use of GPS and calling for anyone over the age of 18. Under 18s, they are not allowed to use cellphones while driving under any circumstances – except to call for help. The fines can be pretty severe and start at $500 and increase to $1,000. Multiple occurrences can mean you can lose your license for up to 60 days.
The strictest measures are for using your smartphone within school zones. The penalties in that situation, particularly if you cause an accident, start to get really severe.
So, it is essential to make your kids aware of these laws and to use them as a deterrent. Don’t allow them to use cellphones while driving!
If you have any points to raise about this, please comment below, or I am happy to answer detailed questions regarding the law if you send me an email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Baton Rouge, LA – Car Crash on Plank Rd near Glen Oaks Dr Ends in Injuries
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries at Stanford Ave & Hyacinth Ave
- New Orleans, LA – Accident on I-10 near Highrise Bridge Ends in Injuries
- Lafayette, LA – Accident with Injuries at Brentwood Blvd and Arlette Dr
- Duson, LA – Accident at Riceland Rd & Cameron St Ends in Injuries
- Monroe, LA – Four Injured in Fatal Car Crash on US-165 at Centurylink Blvd near Lumen Technologies
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident at Government St & S Foster Dr Results in Injuries
- Baton Rouge, LA – Injury Accident Reported on Silverleaf Ave near Mickens Rd
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported at Beechwood Dr & Prescott Rd
- Grand Isle, LA – UPDATE- Ernes Williams & Captain David Ledet Fatally Injured in Boat Crash near Port Fourchon