Watch Out For That Deer! Other Road Hazards
This is Seth Smiley of the Smiley Law Firm with today’s edition of the Parents of Teen Drivers Facebook Group. Today we will be talking about unexpected road hazards, and other encounters. There are other things than cars and people that we need to be warning our teens about.
I just read an article about a driver up in North Dakota where he hit a deer, and the deer made the car swerve out of control and hit a ditch. The teen driver died as a result of this.
You may think that North Dakota is different, and this may not be a concern in your area, but that is not the case.
In South and North Louisiana, anywhere rural really, we see these types of things occur all of the time. At certain times of the year and different times of day, you will see deer and other livestock such as cows by the side of the road. There are also large cats and various other potential dangers.
We need to educate our teens about this. Even if the road is clear of other cars or people, there is danger about. Hitting a big animal can be extremely dangerous, so it is essential to be aware of them.
There is a low chance of an accident with a large animal happening, but can and does.
If you own livestock and cattle, you should make sure they are adequately secured. If they cause an accident that causes injury or death, you could be liable for severe liability.
I want you to be aware of this issue and discuss it with all of your teen drivers. Knowing about this risk can make accidents less likely and potentially save lives.
If you have any stories about a similar incident or have any questions, please comment or send me a Direct Message.
- Baton Rouge, LA – Injuries Reported in Crash on Linden St near W Brookestown Dr
- Baton Rouge, LA – Injury Accident Reported on Jefferson Highway between Stumberg Ln & Dulac Dr
- Vinton, LA – Crash with Injuries Reported on I-10 near Exit 20
- Baton Rouge, LA – Brandon Chews Killed in Crash on LA-408 near LA-410
- New Orleans, LA – EMTs Respond to Crash With Injuries Near St. Bernard Ave
- Sherwood, LA – One Dead in Road Accident on I-12
- New Orleans, LA – Vehicle Injury Collision Near Crowder Blvd
- Grant Parish, LA – Unidentified Driver Killed, One Injured in Crash on US-71
- New Orleans, LA – Ramp to Tchoupitoulas St Closed Due to Accident With Injuries
- New Orleans, LA – Police, Paramedics on Scene of Injury Crash Near Esplanade Ave