The Car is a Deadly Weapon
Hi, Seth Smiley from the Smiley Law Firm here with today’s topic for Parents of Teen Drivers. We are discussing a somber subject, and that is that the car is a deadly weapon.
As some of you might know, I was involved in a deadly car accident as a young boy, when my family’s car was hit by a drunk driving teen. The tragic result was two teen deaths in the other vehicle. It was a terrible situation that has a profound effect on me.
I recently had an article sent to me about a lady who suffered a similarly horrific experience. She hit a teen pedestrian with her car and caused that teenager to pass away.
She has created a website, which I would like to share with you, which seems to find ways to stop tragedies like this happening.
All of this made me think that we fear our kids getting behind the wheel of a car and potentially getting hurt, but cars are potentially a weapon. We need to always make people aware that others can be harmed by our actions or inactions while driving. Distracted or reckless driving could be the cause of an accident for an innocent pedestrian, and the issue could come from the teen driver or others in the car.
The author of the website is called Me. Snowden and she state that 40,000 people die in car crashes annually, and many of these accidents are preventable.
I have reached out to her, and I will see if we can get her to have an interview in this group. Her website is TheCrashProject.org, and her basic story is that she hit and killed a teenager on the road in California. Now she is here to spread advocacy for trying to ensure these types of accidents don’t happen again. It is an informative website, and it is well worth reading.
So. We need to prepare ourselves and our children to be as diligent as possible, buckle up, don’t drive recklessly, or drive distracted and reduce these horrific events happening.
If there are any stories or questions that you would like to share, please feel free to comment below, or email me firstname.lastname@example.org, and I am happy to talk with you about this.
- Monroe, LA – Four Injured in Fatal Car Crash on US-165 at Centurylink Blvd near Lumen Technologies
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident at Government St & S Foster Dr Results in Injuries
- Baton Rouge, LA – Injury Accident Reported on Silverleaf Ave near Mickens Rd
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported at Beechwood Dr & Prescott Rd
- Grand Isle, LA – UPDATE- Ernes Williams & Captain David Ledet Fatally Injured in Boat Crash near Port Fourchon
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported at Jefferson Highway & Drusilla Ln
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident on Wooddale Blvd near Belhaven Trace Dr Ends in Injuries
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported at I-12 and Millerville Rd
- Livingston Parish, LA – Brandon Welch Killed in Pedestrian Crash on I-12 near Satsuma Entrance Ramp
- Carencro, LA – Felton Hopkins Injured in Pedestrian Crash on I-49 Frontage Rd