Seth Smiley is the owner of Smiley Law Firm. He is admitted to practice in all state courts in Louisiana, Texas, and California, and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana. Seth Smiley is the son of a general contractor and acquired valuable work experience in the construction industry prior to entering law school. He earned his J.D. from Loyola in 2009.
Seth was involved in a tragic auto accident when he was young that taught him many lessons on how respected lawyers should act. The accident discussed in more detail in his book, Smiley’s Guide to MAXIMIZING YOUR Personal Injury Claim.
Seth is a proud husband (wife Jennifer) and father (sons Jude & Luke). Seth and his family reside in uptown New Orleans. As an active member of the community, Seth Smiley served as a board member of his local Audubon Riverside Neighborhood Association, and he is also a small business owner and landlord. In his practice, Seth handles all aspects of construction cases, from initial contracting all the way to final payment once work is complete.
Seth loves to fight insurance companies and get his clients the compensation they deserve.
Seth Smiley is also a AAA-trained mediator who has participated in numerous mediations. Seth believes strongly that mediation and arbitration, in many circumstances, can be better mediums for resolving disputes than traditional litigation. The courtroom often leaves too many variables to chance and can strangle a client’s pocketbook.
Seth is currently the primary author of the Smiley Law Blog. The blog’s primary focus is to provide value for current and prospective clients regarding trending legal issues. When not practicing law, he enjoys spending time with his family, exercising, and travel.
- Green Leases and Green Building, Sterling Education Services, March 2010
- Prime/Subcontractor Contracts: Agreements Between the Parties Who Do the Constructing, American Institute of Architects, November 2011
- Louisiana Landlord Tenant Law: Landlord and Tenant Rights and Obligations, Sterling Education Services, July 2014
- Construction Law for Public Projects, HalfMoon Education, November 2014
- Landlord-Tenant Law: How to Prosper in the New Market, Sterling Education Services, December 2015
- Construction Contracts: Most Litigated Clauses, Construction Defect & Dispute Conference, January 2016
- Louisiana (2009)
- California (2011)
- Texas (2017)
- Louisiana State University (2005)
- Loyola University New Orleans College of Law (2009)
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- United States District Court Eastern District of Louisiana
- California State Bar Association
- United States District Court Eastern District of California
- American Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association