How Do Rideshare Accidents Work in Louisiana?
Rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft are a popular form of transportation in urban areas like New Orleans because they’re cost-effective, often safer than driving yourself, and convenient. Although rideshare services are a great option in many circumstances, the drivers hired by both Uber and Lyft aren’t specially trained and can get into accidents just like anyone else.
If you were injured in a New Orleans car accident as a rideshare passenger, you have a right to compensation for your damages. You should discuss your situation with a New Orleans rideshare accident lawyer from Smiley Law Firm, LLC to determine how best to move forward with your case.
Why Rideshare Accidents Occur in Louisiana
Rideshare accidents can occur in Louisiana for many of the same reasons that car accidents do. But, an Uber or Lyft driver may be more likely to get into an accident because their job has high demands. For example, a rideshare driver may be more likely to drive drowsy or distracted and cause an accident because they drive late into the night and must use their phone to obtain riders.
Rideshare drivers may also be more inclined to speed because they want to drop off one driver and pick up another. But, rideshare drivers don’t always cause the car accidents they’re involved in. Car malfunctions, roadway hazards, and other negligent drivers on the road can also cause rideshare accidents in New Orleans.
Uber and Lyft Liability Coverage
Thankfully, both Uber and Lyft have extensive liability coverage that protects rideshare drivers and passengers when an accident occurs. When a passenger is riding in a rideshare vehicle, both Uber and Lyft extend their liability coverage to $1 million. But, Uber and Lyft may not offer you a settlement if your driver wasn’t responsible for causing your rideshare accident in New Orleans.
Proving Negligence Against a Negligent Third Party
If a third-party caused your rideshare accident, you may have to prove negligence against the third party to obtain a settlement in court. Third parties that may have caused your rideshare accident include the colliding driver, a car manufacturer, or a government entity.
You can use photographs, video footage, and witness statements to prove negligence against the driver who hit you. An investigation can also prove that something else caused your accident, such as a car malfunction or roadway hazard.
Contact a New Orleans Rideshare Accident Attorney
As a passenger in a rideshare accident, it can be frustrating to go through the legal process knowing you played no part in causing your injuries. If you hope to receive the settlement you deserve and hold the liable party accountable for what you’ve been through, speak with an experienced legal team.
At Smiley Law Firm, LLC, we work hard to increase injury settlements so that victims in New Orleans rideshare accidents can recover quickly. To schedule a free consultation with a New Orleans rideshare accident lawyer from our team, call 504-894-9653 or fill out the contact form below.
- New Orleans, LA – Victims Transported from Crash Scene on I-10 at Veterans Blvd
- Baton Rouge, LA – One Lane Closed Due to Car Accident With Injuries on I-10 at Lobdell Hwy
- Lafayette, LA – Injury-Causing Accident on I-10 at Church Point
- Baton Rouge, LA – Vehicle Collision Leads to Victim Injuries on Government St
- New Orleans, LA – LSP Aids Injured Victims After Car Accident on I-10 at Canal St
- DeSoto Parish, LA – Man Seriously Injured in Hit-and-Run on I-49, Suspect Arrested
- New Orleans, LA – Police, EMTs Respond to Car Accident on I-10 at Carrolton Ave
- Rayne, LA – Two DOT Subcontractors Struck by SUV on Hwy 90 Near Gina St
- New Orleans, LA – Victims Transported From Scene of Car Accident on I-10 at Morrison Rd
- Baton Rouge, LA – Police Respond to Accident Involving School Bus on Old Hammond Hwy