The Truth Behind Interstate Numbers
Seth Smiley here from the Smiley Law Firm with today’s edition of the Parents of Teen Drivers Facebook Group. Today my family is continuing our road trip across America, and I thought of an interesting topic, “The truth behind interstate numbers.”
Not everyone realizes that the numbers for the exits and the interstates have a meaning. An example of this is interstate 10.
10 means that you know it runs from east to west because it is an even number. For I-49 in Louisiana, you know it runs from north to south because it is an odd number.
All of the exits on the side of the road are also significant. They correspond with the mile marker that they’re on.
So, if you’re in Lake Charles, the numbers on the exits will be lower than if you were in New Orleans or Slidell on I-10.
So it is useful to teach these things to your teen driver, in case they get lost, or they need to explain to someone their location.
It helps to explain what mile marker you are at, what exit you are at, and what interstate you are on.
When they travel throughout America and going from California on the west, towards the east, the interstates go from the lower numbers to the higher numbers from left to right.
So, I-5 runs north to south through California, and 15 is the next one over.
All of these things mean something – the mile markers, the signs, the road numbers. There is an overall design and plan that you should teach to your teen driver, so they are better off and better understand the road system.
The more knowledge you have, the more power you have, so, one day, it might help them get out of a jam if they are stuck.
If anybody has any input concerning the interstates and our road system, please pass that along in the comments below.
- New Orleans, LA – Victims Transported from Crash Scene on I-10 at Veterans Blvd
- Baton Rouge, LA – One Lane Closed Due to Car Accident With Injuries on I-10 at Lobdell Hwy
- Lafayette, LA – Injury-Causing Accident on I-10 at Church Point
- Baton Rouge, LA – Vehicle Collision Leads to Victim Injuries on Government St
- New Orleans, LA – LSP Aids Injured Victims After Car Accident on I-10 at Canal St
- DeSoto Parish, LA – Man Seriously Injured in Hit-and-Run on I-49, Suspect Arrested
- New Orleans, LA – Police, EMTs Respond to Car Accident on I-10 at Carrolton Ave
- Rayne, LA – Two DOT Subcontractors Struck by SUV on Hwy 90 Near Gina St
- New Orleans, LA – Victims Transported From Scene of Car Accident on I-10 at Morrison Rd
- Baton Rouge, LA – Police Respond to Accident Involving School Bus on Old Hammond Hwy