Teen Drivers vs. Senior Drivers – Who Wins?
It is a “battle of the ages” between 16 to 19-year-olds and over 65s. It is to decide who’s safer on the road, and who is more likely to get into an accident.
There are lots of stereotypes about young and elderly drivers. Older drivers often have slower reaction times; the cognition of the brain is not as sharp as it used to be. Teens are commonly believed to be irresponsible, drive distracted, more likely to use drugs or alcohol, and be inexperienced on the road.
There are always exceptions, with some wonderful and careful drivers on both sides.
The statistics clearly show that teens are more likely to have accidents. However, the elderly are more likely to die in an auto accident. The reason for this is that the teens tend to be healthier, in shape, and can bounce around and survive. Older adults suffer more in accidents, and the survival rates are lower.
We also need to consider that teenage brains are not fully developed, and the elderly are on the other side of the spectrum.
Experience is essential, and the elderly will make up for some of their faults by using their years on the road to know when to slow down, drive more cautiously, etc. They find a way to put themselves in a safer situation.
The typical teenage driver doesn’t know the ins and outs of driving as well and is more likely to speed, become distracted by someone, or drive home from a party where they had a few drinks, or worse.
It all likely contributes to more accidents amongst teens. However, the consequences of when the elderly get into accidents can be more severe.
So, who wins? Teen drivers vs. Senior drivers – who wins? Who is safer behind the wheel?
The statistics show, and it is also my overall opinion that the old folks do. You should be much more hesitant to give your car keys to a teen driver than someone who is 65 plus!
If anyone has any real-world stories about this or any questions, please comment below.
- Monroe, LA – Four Injured in Fatal Car Crash on US-165 at Centurylink Blvd near Lumen Technologies
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident at Government St & S Foster Dr Results in Injuries
- Baton Rouge, LA – Injury Accident Reported on Silverleaf Ave near Mickens Rd
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported at Beechwood Dr & Prescott Rd
- Grand Isle, LA – UPDATE- Ernes Williams & Captain David Ledet Fatally Injured in Boat Crash near Port Fourchon
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported at Jefferson Highway & Drusilla Ln
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident on Wooddale Blvd near Belhaven Trace Dr Ends in Injuries
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported at I-12 and Millerville Rd
- Livingston Parish, LA – Brandon Welch Killed in Pedestrian Crash on I-12 near Satsuma Entrance Ramp
- Carencro, LA – Felton Hopkins Injured in Pedestrian Crash on I-49 Frontage Rd