Texting Laws Are Saving Teen Lives
Seth Smiley of the Smiley Law Firm here with today’s edition of the Parents of Teen Drivers Facebook Group. There is some positive news out there regarding Laws that are being enacted saving lives.
I have been reading about some recent data that shows the effect that driving and texting laws are having. Some states have enacted primary texting laws that allow police officers to pull over if they see someone texting or being distracted behind the wheel. There are secondary laws that will enable for issuing a ticket if someone is stopped for another reason, and the officer notices the driver has been using the phone.
The recently published study shows that over 10 years, states that have these as a primary law have seen a 29% reduction in driving fatalities for 16 to 19-year-olds. States that have these rules as a secondary law saw the level of deaths go down by 20%.
It is good news, and the article also spoke of the importance of enforcing these laws. Certain areas of Louisiana entire these laws strictly, and they saw excellent results. It needs to become a consistent practice.
Another significant factor is that parents are leading by example and having a total prohibition on phone use in the car.
It is comparable to seatbelt use back in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. It took a generation for the importance of always using a seatbelt to get through, and now usage is high.
There is also the case of drinking and driving. It is now a frowned-upon practice, but back in the day when those laws were enacted, people were upset about not being allowed to drink in the car.
Those laws have saved laws, so it is a process of educating people to protect themselves while driving.
I wanted to give you this update as I think it is excellent news, and it means that good parenting, good laws and law enforcement can lead to teen driver’s lives being saved.
If you have any questions or feedback, please comment below or shoot me a direct message.
- Youngsville, LA – Vehicle Collision with Injuries Reported on E Milton Ave
- Baton Rouge, LA – Injuries Reported in Crash on I-10 Split
- Monroe, LA – Jathamas White Killed in Car Crash on LA-594 near Powell Ave
- Shreveport, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported on I-20 near Exit 17A
- Shreveport, LA – Injuries Reported in Car Crash at I-10 & Hearne Ave
- Shreveport, LA – Injury Accident Reported at I-220 near Cross Lakes Bridge
- Baton Rouge, LA – Accident on I-12 near Range Ave Ends in Injuries
- New Orleans, LA – Injuries Reported in Car Crash on I-10 past Bonnabel Blvd
- New Orleans, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported on US-90 B near Manhattan Blvd
- Lafayette Parish, LA – Accident with Injuries Reported on Verot School Rd